It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:49 pm

Kel- Tec SU-16 info

All questions, comments, and talk pertaining to rifles.

Kel- Tec SU-16 info

Postby WCW » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:27 pm

Anyone familiar with the Kel- Tec SU-16 ? reliable, accurate etc. What's the going price for one ?

Thanks,
Walt
WCW

Re: Kel- Tec SU-16 info

Postby The Big Dog » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:50 pm

I've handled a couple of examples, have not fired one. The gas system is somewhat similar to an AK and is easy to maintain from what I've seen.

Having said that, I know one guy, a veteran LEO on the central coast, who bought one for himself. He bought in part on price ($500-600) and on past experience with other Kel-Tec products. He likes his SU-16 immensely and trusts it completely. Shortly after purchase he took it to a Front Sight patrol rifle class and reported zero malfunctions for the entire week. Fired a good thousand rounds during the course. There were other guys out there with department owned ARs and clones who all had malfunctions of one type or another. His Kel-Tec kept humming. I'd say it's right up close to a Mini-14 in reliability. He also reported the rifle had accuracy that was plenty acceptable to him for the purpose.

Hope that helps.
"A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. "
The Big Dog

Postby WCW » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:11 am

Thanks Big dog !
WCW

Postby TaoistRifleman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:00 pm

I would trust my life to my SU-16! I have probably put 5,000 rounds through mine with only a few issues that were related to bad ammo...not the rifle's fault! Even my AR hates bad ammo, so yeah.
TaoistRifleman

Postby ArticleTheFourth » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:30 pm

TaoistRifleman wrote:I would trust my life to my SU-16! I have probably put 5,000 rounds through mine with only a few issues that were related to bad ammo...not the rifle's fault! Even my AR hates bad ammo, so yeah.

+1+1

My wife and I each have one and love them!

Got mine years ago for $400; I have the A Model and she has the CA Model with the compact forend.
We both have low cost, compact fixed scopes on these and they are very accurate, more accurate than Mini-14, but not as accurate as my AR15s.
These are light, reliable, low cost and well made guns that fold so great for storing in your car.
ArticleTheFourth

Postby ArticleTheFourth » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:24 pm

I forgot to add that you can shoot your high capacity AR magazines (legally owned, of course) out of this 'featureless" rifle since it does not require a "bullet button".

Do not shoot a high cap out of your mag-locked AR or you'll be creating an "assault weapon" in Karlifornia!
ArticleTheFourth

Postby TaoistRifleman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:02 pm

ArticleTheFourth wrote:I forgot to add that you can shoot your high capacity AR magazines (legally owned, of course) out of this 'featureless" rifle since it does not require a "bullet button".

Do not shoot a high cap out of your mag-locked AR or you'll be creating an "assault weapon" in Karlifornia!

I did evil things to my SU-16! Added a pistol grip with an AR style collapsing stock...added the Compact Forend from Kel-Tec. My friend made a bullet button for his SU-16 and he gave me one too. It's the strange black thing over the mag button! I also got a 10/30 magazine that completes the "Evil Black Rifle" look...I look forward to living somewhere that I can actually use a real 30 round mag in this rifle though! I think we are moving to Reno sometime in the future, so I'll be able to take the training wheels off of this and my AR-15!

TaoistRifleman

Postby woodey » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:50 pm

Looks nice :mrgreen:
No good dead shall go unpunished
Wine Country Weapons
http://winecountryweapons.webs.com/
woodey

Postby TheShootist » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Nevada is really a shooters state . Nice gun .
TheShootist

Postby ArticleTheFourth » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:32 am

Idaho is even better! :P
ArticleTheFourth

Postby krazzylad » Fri May 27, 2011 8:10 pm

I own one, I like it. Very light and Im a fan of the piston system, That said the stock trigger is pretty bad. Once you get a trigger job its a great rifle.
krazzylad

Return to Long Guns