It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Before and After w/photos - Update w/range report

All questions, comments, and talk pertaining to rifles.

Before and After w/photos - Update w/range report

Postby rgs1975 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:47 pm

This was my Stevens Model 200 .308 up until this afternoon. The rifle is awesome and can shoot the wings off a fly. The cheap, super light weight and cheesy looking synthetic stock was just wrong. Took me a couple years to get annoyed enough with it to do something.

The last two pics are the rifle now. Sporting a Boyds Nutmeg Laminated stock and Harris bipod. Not earth shattering changes but it sure does make a big difference in my eyes.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
rgs1975

Re: Before and After w/photos - Update w/range report

Postby rgs1975 » Fri May 23, 2008 8:07 pm

Got a chance to take it out to the range today after work. Holiday get-a-way traffic was crazy bad and I ended up only getting 30 minutes of trigger time. All shots were from 100 yards with a 10-15mph wind.

I knew it would be way off because of me moving the scope all around during the stock change. It started off shooting very high, off the paper all together. After one box of ammo I got it all into the black.

Next box of ammo was on a fresh target, the one pictured below. The two shots to left were hiccups, literally.....first time I've shot while having hiccups LOL

She needs just a tiny bit more tweaking but I think I'll have her 100% dialed in with less than a box of ammo next time. Even with the hiccups all shots on the second target would have been certain kills on an animal (4 legged or 2).

The felt recoil was incredibly reduced by the new stock. I'd say at least by 30% or so. Looks like this stock is a definite winner and no loss at all in accuracy, hell, probably an increase in accuracy just from less shoulder punch.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
rgs1975

Return to Long Guns