It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:45 pm

My OLL is on its way

All questions, comments, and talk pertaining to rifles.

My OLL is on its way

Postby jgaffney » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:15 pm

I ordered the Stag lower from DD's Ranch. Wael Hadid is doing the FFL stuff for me. I drove out to his place in Tomales Saturday, filled out the paperwork and handed him a check.

Wael is a really good guy. We would have finished in 20 minutes, but we spent another half an hour poking through his toys in the gun safe. I was always curious how the gas key worked in the AR until he pulled one apart and showed me. +1 +1 for this guy.

I'll get the LPK and put the lower together. It'll take a while before I buy the upper. I'm going with a Bullet Button so that I can keep the pistol grip.

Stay tuned for pics.
If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous!
If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for.
jgaffney

Re: My OLL is on its way

Postby moulton » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:45 pm

jgaffney wrote:I ordered the Stag lower from DD's Ranch. Wael Hadid is doing the FFL stuff for me. I drove out to his place in Tomales Saturday, filled out the paperwork and handed him a check.

Wael is a really good guy. We would have finished in 20 minutes, but we spent another half an hour poking through his toys in the gun safe. I was always curious how the gas key worked in the AR until he pulled one apart and showed me. +1 +1 for this guy.

I'll get the LPK and put the lower together. It'll take a while before I buy the upper. I'm going with a Bullet Button so that I can keep the pistol grip.

Stay tuned for pics.

Good to hear. Yeah, he is a great guy :) , alot of nice toys in his safe....did he have the ak built up? When I was DROS'ing mine he had just received the bent receivers from Nodak.
moulton

Postby jgaffney » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:55 pm

I picked up the lower today and brought my new toy home. I had already ordered the LPK from RifleGear.com - great service, check him out!

I put the lower together in about 45 minutes, following the assembly instructions on AR-15.com. They were right - getting the spring and detent in for the front take down pin is a pain. Fortunately, Stag put one extra detent into the LPK. Otherwise, I'd still be crawling around under my desk, looking for that little sucker.

Here's what I did to get that part to go together: I put the spring into the hole. Then, with some needlenose pliers, I put the detent in on top of the spring. I took a jewler's screwdriver with about a 1/8" blade, reached through the two ears from the other side, and held the detent down while I got the pin started. It takes three hands and a knee to get it done, but it worked.

As soon as I save up enough money - or, sweet-talk my wife - I'll be getting an upper. I'm going for a 20" barrel and a medium-length gas system. The Stag 4H has that with a detachable A2 carry handle. I like the detachable handle because I can shoot iron sights, or take off the handle and put on a scope.

Pictures later...
jgaffney

Postby moulton » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:48 pm

sounds good, I also had a pain installing the detent springs... you are not alone :lol: Are you going the bullet button route or Monsterman? :P
moulton

Postby jgaffney » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:37 pm

I chose the Bullet Button. I like being able to get a good grip on the pistol grip. If you check RifleGear.com, he hhas a cool little tool for it - a 223 cartridge on a key-back with his logo on it - for under 5 bucks. Plus, I don't want to wrestle with the flash hider that comes with almost all uppers.

I kept the stock mag release button and spring just in case. When the zombies are coming, I'll switch the Bullet Button out and deal with the law later.
jgaffney

Postby jgaffney » Fri May 23, 2008 12:19 pm

I placed my order for a Stag upper last night. I'm getting it from AR15Sales.com. They are located in new Hampshire, so there's no sales tax. And, a BIG plus, is that the shipping is already included in their price. I ordered the Stag 4H, which is a 20" upper with the detachable A2 handle for $514. I'll let you know how fast it gets here.

When I save up some more money, I'll get a 6.8 SPC upper and some mags. I understand they have pretty good punch, and they work with the standard lower.
jgaffney

Postby moulton » Fri May 23, 2008 8:58 pm

I'll probably buy another lower in the next month, I think I will go the monster-man route, I changed my current lower into a bullet button about a month ago but I want something a little more handy and versatile. :) THe next upper I get will either be a A2 or A1 KISS 16 inch CAR clone
moulton

Postby The Big Dog » Sun May 25, 2008 12:06 pm

Cheaper Than Dirt has DPMS Panther Arms M4 uppers in .223 complete at $499 in their latest circular. I think I may be just about ready to start begging Mrs. BigDog for the cash.

:twisted:
"A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. "
The Big Dog

Postby jgaffney » Tue May 27, 2008 11:00 am

I called AR15Sales this morning because I hadn't heard anything from them about a ship date. I learned that AR15Sales doesn't stock anything. When they receive your order, they in turn order the part from the manufacturer. When the manufacturer ships to them, they put their shipping label on it and ship to you.

All this adds up to a 2-3 week lead time on the upper. I called RifleGear in Costa Mesa. Not only did they have the same upper in stock, but they will ship it this afternoon. I have to pay CA sales tax and UPS ground, but I'll get it on Thursday.

If you are going to order from AR15Sales, call them and ask them about shipping dates first.
jgaffney

Postby jgaffney » Tue May 27, 2008 11:05 am

The Big Dog wrote:Cheaper Than Dirt has DPMS Panther Arms M4 uppers in .223 complete at $499 in their latest circular. I think I may be just about ready to start begging Mrs. BigDog for the cash.

That's a 16" flat top upper. I wanted the 20" barrel with the detachable carry handle. I read that the CAR short action was hard on brass, plus I wanted the iron sights on the A2 handle. The handle will pop off, making a scope mount painless.
jgaffney

Postby The Big Dog » Tue May 27, 2008 5:47 pm

I don't mind the shorter barrel, I actually prefer them, and I've never been a huge fan of the carry handle, removable or otherwise. I'll be putting an electronic sight on when I go that route and some type of rear sight assembly handy if the sight goes down.

Do any one you gents have a referral for a DROSing dealer that you could PM me?
The Big Dog

Postby zinfull » Tue May 27, 2008 7:46 pm

Big Dog

What type are you looking for, OLL or Normal?

Jerry
zinfull

Postby The Big Dog » Wed May 28, 2008 10:02 am

I have been looking to buy a Mini-14 for quite a while. Just never get around to it and other things get in line ahead of it which seems to keep my cash flowing. But I really have a hankering lately to build from the ground up with an OLL. It intrigues me, and the law still makes allowance for it, so what the heck.

But that's just kind of how I feel about it. :)
The Big Dog

Postby zinfull » Wed May 28, 2008 10:31 am

There have been a couple of us do business with him. I recommend him and he is the only one near that will do OLL

(this is from moulton)
Gunsmith and FFL

Hadid Machine
P. O. Box 51
Tomales, CA 94971

Email:
wael@hadidmachine.com <wael@hadidmachine.com>

Phone:

Hours:
By appointment only.

Jerry
zinfull