It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:48 pm

buying my first OLL

All questions, comments, and talk pertaining to rifles.

buying my first OLL

Postby moulton » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:56 pm

I just meet with the seller tonight and got a firsthandlook at a Stag lower receiver. Im going out either friday or Saturday afternoon to a dealer who is OLL friendly in Tommales. $135 out the door 8). Im going to make it into a IDF retro copy.

parts:
Stag Lower
Monster Man Grip
DPMS Lower Parts Kit
A1 or A2 buttstock
M-16a1 colt upper receiver rebarreled by FN
RRA Muzzlebreak
Model 1 charging handle
Bushmaster ar-15 bolt/bolt carrier assembly
DPMS Buffer/Buffer Tube
Israeli IDF sling

it really is a franken gun from a bunch of different manufacturers 8)
moulton

Postby zinfull » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:03 am

That is what is so nice about them. You can put anything together and have it work. Also you can have a carbine and with two pins you can change to a varmint rifle. One lower and a couple of uppers and you're good to go.

Jerry
zinfull

Postby moulton » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:07 pm

just finished my DROS, now the wait....god I wish I had a time machine to jump ahead to December 11 th :lol:
moulton

Postby moulton » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:00 pm

Here she is
I am thinking of paining the lower and charging handle with an epoxy paint to match the upper and I think I need to buy an ambidextris selector :)
moulton

Postby zinfull » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:05 pm

With a monster grip a different selector would be nice.

Jerry
zinfull

Postby jgaffney » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:01 pm

Moulton, have you had it out to the range yet? How do you like the MonsterMan grip?

I sent an email to MMG, asking about how one holds on to it. The reply was that you keep your thumb along the side of the stock, instead of wrapping it over the top, like you would do with a conventional stock.

I know how much my Garand moves around. What's it like shooting the AR without holding on to the top of the stock?
If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous!
If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for.
jgaffney

Postby zinfull » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:33 pm

Where did you get your upper. I would like to do a retro and that is what I am looking for.

Jerry
zinfull

Postby moulton » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:45 pm

jgaffney wrote:Moulton, have you had it out to the range yet? How do you like the MonsterMan grip?

I sent an email to MMG, asking about how one holds on to it. The reply was that you keep your thumb along the side of the stock, instead of wrapping it over the top, like you would do with a conventional stock.

I know how much my Garand moves around. What's it like shooting the AR without holding on to the top of the stock?

I took it out to circle S last friday and out of 50 rounds had one stovepipe that was caused by my home made brass catcher getting in the way. range officer and other shooters didnt give me a second glance. The MMG is easy to hold, here is a really crappy photoshop of how you hold the grip
I tried making a shark fin style grip with an a1 pistol grip with a plexiglass window but I found there was too much weight placed on the middle finger, this is solved by the MMG because you have three fingers supporting the weight at an easyer angle.

If we ever get a North Bay Shooters range meetup I will let you try it our
:)

edit to add:
zinfull wrote:Where did you get your upper. I would like to do a retro and that is what I am looking for.

Jerry

I got it at the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot for $175. It was a little trickey getting home but the TSA guard said he was at the shoot the day before so he was cool with it :lol: Check out the Equipment Exchange over at Ar-15, Gunbroker or Sarco for a1 uppers, they have gone up quite a bit in price as they have been harder to find since CDNN sports ran out of their stock pile
moulton

Postby jgaffney » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:20 pm

Moulton, is that your rifle in the Photoshopped version? What happened to the carry handle?
If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous!
If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for.
jgaffney

Postby moulton » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:14 pm

jgaffney wrote:Moulton, is that your rifle in the Photoshopped version? What happened to the carry handle?

no that is a photoshoped add that I got of Monsterman's weabsite :P
moulton

Return to Long Guns