It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

Ruger 10/22 vs. Marlin 60

All questions, comments, and talk pertaining to rifles.

Ruger 10/22 vs. Marlin 60

Postby blackstarninja » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:27 pm

Any Opinions?
blackstarninja

Postby subdjoe » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:15 am

If you like to tinker and buy all sorts of aftermarket stuff to change the look of your gun, buy the Ruger.

If you like to shoot, buy the Marlin.
Joe
Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.
subdjoe

Postby elkhorn98 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:39 am

I have heard similar things about the Ruger. Lots of accessories, but you need to change alot out to get them as accurate as other brands out of the box. You may want to check out http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
to get opinions on these rimfires.
Springfield XD Tactical 40
Remington 597 .22 LR
elkhorn98

Postby The Big Dog » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:23 pm

The 10/22 has the Ruger quality of being pretty much utterly dependable and that dependability, along with a relatively reasonable price over the years has made them universal. They do require a good deal of tinkering and after market stuff to get the highest possible level of accuracy out of them but out of the box with a decent scope you can get good results. I've worked with several and they are a good tool for what ever game you want to use them for.

My experience with Marlin rifles is with centerfire lever actions, largely, and a Marlin 39A lever action .22 that is one of the most accurate .22s I've ever shot short of a target bolt action. If the Model 60 has even close to the accuracy of the 39A then I'd say it's a keeper. What some might not like about it is the tubular magazine, but I actually find that a plus because it holds 14 rounds and the state can't ban it.

As an alternative to the 10/22 or the Model 60 there is also the Marlin 795 which uses a detachable 10 round magazine. The Marlins also, generally, cost about a hundred bucks or more less than a 10/22.

As above... if the desire is to hang aftermarket parts and make something unique, then the 10/22 is probably the deal. But some quick web searching led me to all kinds of aftermarket stocks and parts for the Marlins. As example, ATI makes a Dragunov style stock for the Marlin 60.
"A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. "
The Big Dog

Postby subdjoe » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:14 pm

You can make a "clip" to feed a tube magazine. Get some brass tubing, usually at a hobby shop, that will hold .22s. Crimp one end, load the ammo into it. Pull the plunger assembly from the tube magazine and dump the shells in. That method dates to the Civil War. Was it the Spencer that loaded like that? Anyway, you can make up a bunch of those, make a box/pouch to hold them. load up a bunch at home before your trip to the range and you are good to go. OTOH, I find loading a tube magazine easier than loading detatchable box magazines.

Never tried the lever gun, but the Mod. 60 is pretty darned accurate. With open sights I can keep it on half a playing card at 50 yards. With the scope, I can pretty well keep it on the pip of the ace of spades. Thats with a mixed bag of bulk box ammo. I have never tried to tune it to find what it really likes best. I expect that I could do much better if I were to get 5 or 6 different types and spend a day at the range.

One of the best .22s I have ever shot is my Mossberg 46B-? (don;t remember what version it is). Bolt action, tube fed, hooded front sight with inserts, rear peep with windage adjustment. That at 50 yards will hold, literally, on a dime. Well, maybe a nickle. Pretty darned good for a 50 year old .22. Picked that up for $100 a couple of years ago. One of the best gun buys I have made. Not on price, it was right around blue book, but for the quality of the gun. I feel, because it is such a great shooter and such a well built rifle, that I got a deal.
Joe
Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.
subdjoe

Postby The Big Dog » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:10 pm

The Spencer used a tube, but the access was through the butt.

There are a couple of different gizmos out there that hold a hundred rounds or so in a group of tubes so that all you have to do to reload is pull the tube plunger from the rifle, tip up the loader and let a tube of ammo fall into the magazine tube.

Here is one example.

Subdjoe if we wind up on the same range one of these weekends I'll let you have a crack with the 39A. It has a 24 inch barrel and Williams receiver sight yet because the receiver (steel by the way) is so small, the long barrel hefts like its 18 or 20 inches. I think you would enjoy it.
"A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. "
The Big Dog

Postby subdjoe » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:54 pm

Yeah, we need to get together at the range. Been too long for me - 6 or 7 months. I'll bring my Mossberg, my H*R Target, and a few other toys. Maybe early next year - kinda busy for the rest of the year.
Joe
subdjoe

Re: Ruger 10/22 vs. Marlin 60

Postby mcm95403 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:08 am

About 20 years ago I had a Marlin 60 and so did my buddy Mike. We used to go to the tin can range at Los Altos Rod & Gun Club. We would take turns hitting a can and the object was to keep it moving unitl we were both out of ammo. It was great fun, and we'd do that all afternoon. Not uncommon to go through 5000 rounds. We'd usually have to stop at about 1500 or so to clean some gunk out of the slide area and take a swipe down the bore, then back to shooting. I should never have sold that one. Mike still has his.............
mcm95403

Return to Long Guns